Geeking Tansliteracy

Split Pic

Originally Posted July 31, 2013

This summer while chaperoning middle schoolers through Europe, I was introduced to Split Pics by one of the students in the group.  Split Pic is a new free ad-supported download from Google App Store, with an additional in-app purchase to unlock the full, ad-free version /functions.

This new photo app is designed to allow users to use a split-screen effect for various purposes. The main use is to edit in your pictures with the cloning effect…the subject in the picture poses in one position or one side and then moves into another position or side to make it seem as if there is more than one of the same person.  The free version allows you to use the split screen x2 or x3 both horizontally and vertical.

If I can do this, I know you can.  It's as easy as pie to edit and post on you Apple or Droid!
If I can do this, I know you can. It’s as easy as pie to edit and post on your Apple or Droid!

Once a split layout has been selected, you are prompted to take your picture. The program allows access to all of the iOS camera functions.  There is also a timer for automatic shooting at 1, 5, 10, 15 or 30 second intervals — good for setting up the camera on a tripod or flat surface and then moving between positions without having to return to it and press the shutter again.

Once the image has been taken, the split point may be moved back and forth at will, and the strength of the “blur” filter applied to the boundary between the two images adjusted. A variety of Instagram-style filters may also be applied to the final image, which may then be saved or shared via email, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr or Tumblr.