Uncategorized

Getting Tech Out to Students

Scavenger HuntOriginally Posted September 9, 2013

I am using Google Docs to help the students learn how to navigate through the website for the library.  Today is day 1 and I will be able to take all 6th and 7th grade classes through it.  The 8th grade teachers are too crunched for time.  I’m really excited about the scavenger hunt because the students need to know how to manipulate double screens and search on the tabs using reasoning skills to determine if this is the correct tab that will give them the answer.  Today I am working with Mr. B., Mrs. Wright and Mrs. Cramblet.  Both Mr. B. and Mrs. Wright has stated that there is an strong need for classes such as this.  Our school is a tech math science and engineering magnet but we don’t have a class that is manditory to teach application.  As a solo librarian…I am wondering what I can do to strengthen this basic skill that is lacking in the school’s curriculum.  The only thing I can come up with is to try and build this skill from the bottom and make sure this year’s grade 6 classes are exposed more to what is needed to conduct these type of activities.

Dr. Stam, our STEM Magnet director thinks it would be a great idea to offer a class to just grade 6 during their related arts class periods.  Since I’ve already chunked the checkout days together I’m think I could possibly add that to my schedule without interrupting the traffic flow in the library and my collaborative opportunities.

I have no idea where to start with developing a curriculum for a class such as this.  I am not a tech geek in training but I am in spirit.  I have the want-to but I’m totally void of vocabulary, so when I talk to the REAL geeks, I’m literally at a lose! LOL!  I hope I’m not getting in over my head!